Search This Blog

Friday, March 07, 2008

Q: What are shin splints? A: Overused muscles.

“An individual not accustomed to running may experience pain in the shin muscles the next day even after a single, short bout of intense running.” - Wikipedia

It is part of our training that must be done, I just happen to be overweight and an inexperienced runner so ouchie for me!

“CAUSES: unskilled runners over stride, and land heavily on the heel with each foot strike. When this happens, the forefoot rapidly slaps down to the ground. In a similar way, improper pronation of the foot during the foot strike can also cause pain in the muscles.” - Wikipedia

And so on and so forth…Anyway Wikipedia (and my trainers) have much more to say but that is the jist and voila, I have shin splints!! But there is hope! One, I can still exercise, exercises like the elliptical and the bike or stairmonster where I don’t have that jarring like I would with running on the treadmill helps. There is a bunch more, but for the sake of boredom to all reading this I will stop. Also I got some kick a$$ shoes today, so that should help!! Thank you Brian for your help! You rock! Even though your team can eat berries you are still okay!!

Oh and for all the haters, I am NOT whining or complaining. I have them (shin splints), I am working through them, I just have to blog twice a day so gimme a break, I have to talk about something!

1 comment:

KMAK said...

Girl...I don't think you are wining at all....I know what you are going thru...I have the same exact problem and then some. LOL! Keep up the good work and can you tell me why my trainer is helping you??? LOL!!! Just good fun!