Search This Blog

Thursday, June 03, 2010

My night at the hospital......................

I saw a man at the end of the hall on a stretcher. He had a beard and was lined and grayed. I feel certain he was someone’s dad or grandpa. They had him sitting up, and while everyone moved around him, he fiddled. He was strapped onto the stretcher with a seat belt of sorts. The sides were pulled up, so I am not sure how he could have fallen off, but he was strapped in none the less. I watched him from my seat down the hall. I hoped he would look up so I could smile and hopefully make him feel safe. I don’t know why my smile would make him feel safe, I just hoped that he could see my concern and calm for him, through my face somehow.

He didn’t look. But he still fiddled. Back and forth his hands moved over the strap of his “seat belt” as he tried to pull it tight and then undo it. Over and over again. If you weren’t watching you would think his fiddling was the first and only time he had done it. But I did look, and it wasn’t. He did it the whole time, ignoring the young paramedics from the fire department that came in an out talking incessantly. He had a purpose I am just not sure what it was. I hope he is okay.

I met a lady in the waiting room. She was lively and fun and wonderful to talk to. She used to be a construction worker in Vegas. I know because she told me. We talked for hours I think…waiting. We are now friends on Face book. She told me about her church and invited me to visit. She gave a dollar to the young girl who shared our conversation and I think really just wanted to fit in.

I sat next to a man who looked like he had a hard day at work. He was dirty and had work boots on with a worn out t-shirt on. He asked could he sit next to me and I said sure. He coughed a lot. It came from deep in his chest. He said he was cold and apologized that he was coughing. I smiled again and told this man not to worry. I told him that neither of us felt good and he should just sit there and relax. He took his boots off and he apologized again. I could smell him. He had been working like I said. I kept smiling and told him just to feel better. He closed his eyes. He had pretty lashes.

The lady who took my blood told me she was going to stab me. She did. She was really funny and just doing her job, but she made me comfortable. Her husband won’t give her a divorce. She ate Mexican a few nights ago with friends from work. One guy had a nasty burrito and the Tequila shots didn’t make it any better.

I saw a DOA. He was being wheeled in as I sat there. They were still pumping his chest and the airbag even knowing the attempt was futile. Later I saw his family. They cried and inside I cried for them.

I waited. I saw the nurse, the doctor, the radiologist; I saw them all I think. Then I met her…..She was there for me I think, or I her. She was scared and crying. I couldn’t see her but I could hear her. The nurse told her they would take care of her but she was still scared. I was still waiting and I hurt for her. I went around the curtain and smiled again. I told her it would be okay and I held her hand. I tried to make her feel less afraid. I wanted her to know that God would take care of her. I wanted her to feel like she wasn’t alone and someone was there for her. I got discharged but I stayed. I held her hand and rubbed her arm and I talked to her. She prayed and I listened. We both said AMEN.

Then I came home.

No comments: