Search This Blog

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Good Day, Pickles and Dinner

So Tuesday I decided to go to church and get some Jesus after work. Yeah I know he is in your heart just look for him yadda yadda…but on this day (it was a good day) I felt a need to go to his house and tell him thanks for the good day in person.

Most of you might be thinking that is no big deal and I reckon it really isn’t, but since  I have been a bump on a pickle* for so long, doing anything outside of my norm was good in and of itself. Then you take the fact I was gonna step foot in a church with no protection from lighting…well you can understand how it could feel a bit momentous for one such as myself!

Technically, I have a little Jesus. Literally. He is a bobble head in my car whose bobble broke so he just rides around with me. Well, him and a plastic representation of the naked mole rat named “Rufus” from Kim Possible (silly cartoon).

Aside from the literal, I do have a touch of the spiritual as well. I don’t go to church and I don’t read the bible and I don’t really say I know what I am talking about. I just say I know he is there. He knows I am here and I tend to circle around him from time to time deciding if I want to go up and introduce myself. He’s cool with it. I think he knows I am chicken and is just letting me get used to him.

Anyway, I checked on my phone the dates and times for Mass ( I was raised Catholic and I like St. Patricks). I get there trying to find a place to park because the normal place was closed off. I get parked and am in the back so I don’t know how to get to the church part (there is a school as well). I finally ask someone and they point me in the right direction. I get to the door and WHAT???? It is locked. I find the same person who tells me there is no mass that day. BUMMER!

BUT long story longer…I tried. I could have just told the Ole Boy thanks in my head and let it go, but I had a good day and I felt like making the effort to go tell him in person. Well, okay in church where I can’t see him but it is his house etc.

It is really kind of funny. I have been stepping around him, my life etc so much lately and I FINALLY make the effort and NO MASS!! In other things I may have felt gloomy, but to me this was just funny. I mean it really tickled me.

It isn’t all about me ( I know right? SHOCKER). I can’t always have things my way when I want them. I KNOW that, but this was church for goodness sakes. I am supposed to get an epiphany and fill up with the ‘Word of the Lord” and my life will suddenly be better etc etc.

I know that stuff happens for folks and I promise you I am not sad, dejected, or thinking that can’t all still happen to me.

I just feel like God was saying to me “GOTCHA!! You need to work a little harder. I am here and I will help but you have to be sure and get your boohonkus in gear too!” I think he has sense of humor! He would have to to put up with me and all my Shenanigans.

I know all of this sounds weird and some folks may have apoplexy for me calling him “Ole Boy”, but really do you he think cares? I don’t.

Besides the night wasn’t a total bust, my neighbor made homemade chicken enchiladas and saved me two.

*Bumps on pickles don't do anything...they are just there.

13 comments:

Patsy said...

I'm glad you had a good day and wanted to give thanks for it. I imagine that if Jesus could know if you'd gone to Mass then he'll know you tried to do so.

Chicken enchiladas eh? Sounds like a good day got better!

Apey said...

And they were super cheesy which made for some very good eats!

Anonymous said...

April, I don't know how many times I've said this now, but you really should write more often. Your wonderful way with words always leaves me smiling. Catholic, huh? I got the same deal, and I ain't sure if it ever leaves you completely. I've never forgotten how, as one of a bunch of five year olds in church, we were told to be good, because the statue of Our Lady was looking down on us and she'd know if anyone misbehaved. Well, I was still thinking about that when it came time to pray. Sure, I put my hands together, and I closed my eyes, but I couldn't resist a quick peep at those dull stone eyes to see if they were watching. They weren't, but when it occurred to me that they just might come to life and turn me into stone, I screwed my eyes up good and tight and didn't dare open them again till the praying was done.

Apey said...

I was having none of that sit still stuff. I can remember being five as well, and going to church with my gram and gramps. My gramps would be kneeling and praying and I would just pop up between his folded hands of prayer. POOF! Right there in front of his face, standing on the kneeler wandering what he was muttering. I also LOVED looking at the Irish Travelers and their clothes and hair and jewelry etc. It was a sight but one I remember fondly. then came later years when school made us go to church when the pope sneezed. Good times!!

And thanks about the writing, it makes me smile when you like it! I just wish I could write nitty gritty stuff!!

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Hey Sweetie...I know it's been a while since I've been by...I'm still wroking on me book but I'm nearly done with the rewrite of the first half od it and now I just have to do the last part of the book!

BTW...awesome post. I loved it!

Hawk

Anonymous said...

Oh just go ahead and write nitty, gritty or anything else you'd care to write. How do you know can't if you ain't even tried? Anyhow, I love this stuff..

"I would just pop up between his folded hands of prayer. POOF! Right there in front of his face"

How can anybody not smile at that? It's wonderful in its innocence.

JJ Cocker said...

Now look here, Miss April. If Jesus had gone to church and he'd seen the sign "No Mass", he would have hammered down the door!

If you think he use to go week in, week out, think again. The church was him and his followers. If you're a spiritual being, God will be wherever you are. But then again, being a Spiritualist, I'm allowed to believe that I'm a part of God, he's a part of me, so there's a good chance you may be as much a God as Jesus and me.

God bless you, from the bottom of me heart and soul xxx

Anonymous said...

You heard it here first. Miss JJ just thanked you from the heart of her bottom.

Anonymous said...

So I wandered over here in search of something new, and what do I find? Nothing! What a disappointment.

Apey said...

Sorry Mr. V. I will work on it!

Anonymous said...

Well you'd better, or I'll be bringing a bowl of soup over here.

JJ Cocker said...

I'll be looking forward to you posting summit up too!

Apey said...

Miss Hawk thanks! I hope your book is getting done! Can't wait to read it! Here I am Miss JJ. I really would write more but unfortunately my best thoughts are in the middle of the night and I am so not getting up to go type!

Mr. V. you wouldn't!!!