Search This Blog

Monday, March 14, 2011

Didn't feel like continuing my trip to Bohemian Paradise just yet.....have other junk on my mind.

How do you know if what you are feeling is guilt? Anxiety? Or just plain regret?

Guilt is basically self-reproach for a supposed inadequacy or wrongdoing. Anxiety is a state of uneasiness and apprehension. Regret is to feel sorry, disappointed, or distressed about something. Or to remember something with a feeling of loss or sorrow.

They sound seemingly alike to me. I think more often than not, I am feeling them all simultaneously, making it difficult to discern the difference.

When I wake up in the middle of the night, I am often anxious as all get out.

I am short of breath, there are knots in my stomach, I get physically warm and toss and turn on the bed. My mind then starts to run through a series of events to determine why I am feeling this way. For example I may remember behaving badly with Cliff when were married. I feel guilty about my behavior, embarrassed even. I then immediately feel sorrow that I hurt him and regret that I can’t change the past. So back to feeling apprehensive.

I may have made a comment that, at the time, I thought was innocuous. BUT after some thought, realize that while I may have thought that, perhaps the person on the receiving end did not. It is too late to call them and I am at once worried that I may have been ugly to someone (albeit by accident).  The cycle starts again.

There have even been times when I just couldn’t figure out any of the feelings…I just had them.

AND YES, I know all about the medications they have for this!! J Unless it is medication that puts you in a coma, I think using some sort of thought process is an appropriate way to help begin progress

Anyway, if I have done something wrong…I have NO trouble making amends. Sometimes, what I have perceived to be a wrong, was in my own head. I guess my real reason for asking, is to find out how to make amends with oneself and not let guilt, anxiety or regret overpower me. They are unproductive, sleep depriving, and unfortunately for me… NOT weight reducing. 

Is it a mantra that does it? Do I just tell myself over and over that the past is the past and there is nothing I can do about it now and eventually it will stop?

Can I use these feelings and turn thm into some sort of catalyst for change? I am pretty sure I can. I jus need an attitude adjustment.

Yeah I think attitude has a lot to do with things. I need to get a positive one. To bad you can't just pick them up at the gorcery!!


7 comments:

JJ Cocker said...

Guilt, regret, anxiety... I get it all the time, but I’m trying to lessen the load, by not taking on the world’s problems all by meself. Yer see, April, when yer care, yer can't help it! It's called being conscientious.

It all boils down to that old adage: you can lead a horse to water, but yer can't stop him taking a pee over the fields he's gonna graze in.

Go get an attitude, if you must, but try finding positive people to care and share with. x

Anonymous said...

'Can I use these feelings and turn them into some sort of catalyst for change? I am pretty sure I can.'

You bet you can, April. What's done done. Live and learn, and roll along. Next time those perceived mistakes torment you, balance things up by remembering all the good things you've done. Then give yourself a pat on the back, for getting so many things right.

Sweet Vernal Zephyr said...

Hum... does this only happen in the middle of the night? Waking up anxious and THEN you search for a reason?

If so, I wonder if it is not guilt at all but a natural sleep/dream phenomena?

I know I read something about this a while back but I can't seem to find the exact article. The closest thing was this link to Sleep Paralysis on Wiki.

*hug*
Miranda

Apey said...

Thank Miss JJ. I like your horse adage!! You always make me laugh! I always like your words of wisdom!

Mister V. here it is. I have just been a little late with my email and blog checking lately!! Thank you for your words!

Miss Sweet, I sure will check that out! Thanks! Yes, it is mostly at night. Sets my stomach on fire then keeps me up for an hour or two extra. I know for certain I haven't done anything to warrant such a fierce response...ugh! I think it is mostly my own internal demons. Who I am , who I should be, why I am what I am or not. Self evalution..all of that....BAM all at the same time!!

Anonymous said...

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." --Dr. Seuss

Love you, Ape--
~Rach'

Anonymous said...

S'ok April, just needed to be sure.

Who needs Chinese proverbs when JJ's around. Real subtle, ain't she? (In a wonderful way)

JJ Cocker said...

Hey... I just say it as it is, folks, and from experience gained.

Oh... And when it comes to horse muck, it's only good for the roses if its got some substance to it!